Translate

Sunday, April 17, 2011

Day 518 of Giving Thanks

The story behind the table and the stool… on my way home yesterday, I drove by a house I have driven past every day for two and a half years, but “today” they were having a garage sale. As I drove by, I noticed a small green stool right near the curb. I decided to go check it out, so made a U-turn, then another to park in front of the house.

What do they say, “one’s man’s trash is another man’s treasure,” (excerpt from poem, Garage Sale, Tom Zart), but the poem continues, “As one woman's junk gives others pleasure.” That is me in a nutshell, I love to find “treasures”.

As I walked up there were several women and an older man sitting in lawn chairs and I said, “I would love that stool”, and a call to the owner, “Alice how much for the stool?” I heard $2, and responded “Sold.” And Alice began to head into the house.

I looked to my left and there it was; the table that would be my next “project of love”.

I walked toward the two women sitting near the front door and asked, “How much for the table?” And, a loving call out to the owner of the table – “Alice, you’re on again; how much for the table.” Alice again turned to me, and with eyes glistening this time, she said, “that table was my father’s. It’s in need of much repair.” And there was a big pause, “Make me an offer.”



The table is in poor shape, in need of some tender loving care, some wood glue, sand paper and a couple coats of stain. The top veneer is lifting in many areas, and has cracks and scratches. But it is solid and made in the 1930s or so.

I could tell it was an emotional sale. I knew I didn’t have a lot of cash with me, I looked at her and said, “Let me see what’s in my wallet, all I have is $22; I do decoupage and I will make it beautiful." She looked at me and said, “I prayed it would go to someone who would love the table, and it seems that you are the one to take it.”

As I was standing there, Alice’s daughter came up to me and asked what I would be doing to the table. I explained, and she told me that her mom had just broken-up her own home and things were being sold - she had a great philosophy… “if something has to be in storage, it is disrespecting the original owner”, and that’s why they were letting go of such a beautiful and memorable piece.

When the table is done, I will bring it over and show Alice the restored table. What an amazing feeling to know that I can bring a smile to someone in a situation that must be tough emotionally. Father, I pray that I can do the table justice, that I can put much love and heart into the restoration project. Lord, I thank You for delivering me to that treasure yesterday and ask that Your loving and tender care are upon my new friends.

Thank You Lord for the time You give me to create and restore, and use the precious talents You have given me. Let me do the same when it is time to let the table go, let me be as gracious as Alice and know that this treasure restored is to glorify You.

“Do not store up for yourselves treasures on earth, where moths and vermin destroy, and where thieves break in and steal. But store up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where moths and vermin do not destroy, and where thieves do not break in and steal. For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also.” ~Matthew 6:19-21

No comments:

Post a Comment

Shawn Delia Boreta

Free e-Book Devotional

Free e-Book Devotional
It's All About Me