Translate

Friday, April 1, 2011

Day 502 of Giving Thanks

I love warm weather... Sitting here with the window of my home office open, and the silence is amazing. I can hear the breeze through our redwood trees and the occasional chirp of a bird. I love to hear the wonders of God. For me silence is two-fold. There is the silence when the TV or radio are off and there is no noise; then there is the silence when I wait to hear God.

"But oh! God is in his holy Temple! Quiet everyone—a holy silence. Listen!" ~Habakkuk 2:20

When I sit long enough, with the world’s noise turned off, I can catch the surrounding nuances of my world with God in it. That is when I notice His gifts to my eyes – the colors; His gifts to my ears – the sounds of nature; His gifts of smell – the crisp morning air; His gifts of touch – the feel of the soil when I garden… His gifts are many.

This week has been one of those weeks, where getting into God’s silence has been often and ample. Honestly, I don’t believe that I can truly “get enough”, but it did feed me greatly day to day. Comfort is in knowing that I am one of His creations.

“Do not conform to the pattern of this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind. Then you will be able to test and approve what God’s will is—his good, pleasing and perfect will.” ~Romans 12:2

So, when the week is busy, life is whizzing by and hours are really moments in my day, how do I turn off the world’s noise? How do I turn God’s silence on? I wish I could say that it was all me, that it just took some learning and building of skill – but I am an action-oriented, type-A personality who ‘never sits still’, according to many of my family and friends. It has taken me years to acquire, not only the skill, but the need and desire for this practice. How did I do it?

It wasn’t me. I was truly on a fast-paced highway to missing out on many God moments – and God placed a detour in the road. And this time, I did not resist a bit. I gave in; rest is was – rest it is. My life is much slower than just six months ago. There are many who might say I gave up on much, that I suffered great losses because of this detour. I say, “I have gained everything and more.” This path is the one that was right all along. Honestly, now I believe where I was heading was the detour – and the journey is now corrected.

“And so this is still a live promise. It wasn't canceled at the time of Joshua; otherwise, God wouldn't keep renewing the appointment for "today." The promise of "arrival" and "rest" is still there for God's people. God himself is at rest. And at the end of the journey we'll surely rest with God. So let's keep at it and eventually arrive at the place of rest, not drop out through some sort of disobedience.” ~ Hebrews 4:9-11

I am grateful that “Father knows best”. I am grateful that I can let go of the busyness and grab onto the calm. I am grateful that He changed my path, and encourages me daily that “this detour” was the cure I needed and the rest will come in time. I am grateful for the new life I have, with the oldest lover of my life.

"Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. For my yoke is easy and my burden is light." ~Matthew 11:28-30 

I am grateful for His tenderness and perfect will for my life. I know that I will become tired, and it is “ok” to let Him know and take over. That is what I am doing today – resting in Him and knowing that with this rest, I will be strengthened and renewed.


© 2011 Giving Thanks Daily, Shawn Boreta                     
Web: http://shawnsgivingthanksdaily.blogspot.com/
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/note.php?note_id=10150327530757809

No comments:

Post a Comment

Shawn Delia Boreta

Free e-Book Devotional

Free e-Book Devotional
It's All About Me