Translate

Sunday, August 7, 2011

Day 629 of Giving Thanks - Sue King

The Little Sparrow
by Sue King

I have always loved the way Jesus talks about sparrows and how, despite their commonness and relative lack of value , God is still deeply concerned and that nothing happens to even one of them without His permission. Did you get that? Really take that in? Nothing happens to even a common garden sparrow without God’s knowing about it and giving His permission.

"Aren't two sparrows sold for a penny? Not one of them will fall to the ground without your Father's permission.” ~ Matthew 10:29

So how much more so does He concern Himself with the creation that He proclaimed was VERY good? I wrote a few days ago about how nothing comes to us that is not via His hand.

 “Now that I am a child of God, I must remember that everything that comes to me is via His hand, with His permission and in His timing.”~ Sue King  (August 1st, Day 623 of Giving Thanks Daily)

How greatly is this reinforced when we think of how He concerns Himself with those tiny birds. Charles Gabriel (1905) was so encouraged that he penned the well known gospel hymn, ‘His eye is on the Sparrow’~

“Why should I feel discouraged, why should the shadows come,
      Why should my heart be lonely, and long for heav’n and home,
      When Jesus is my portion? My constant Friend is He:
      His eye is on the sparrow, and I know He watches me;
      His eye is on the sparrow, and I know He watches me.
      I sing because I’m happy, I sing because I’m free,
      For His eye is on the sparrow, and I know He watches me.”~ Charles Gabriel

So as I drove home today I watched a tiny sparrow in the centre of my lane of road. I expected him to fly away out of the path of my oncoming car but he just sat still. I drove straight over the top of him. He didn’t move an inch and was safe. It was as if Father had placed Him there and told him to stay still, to wait, and he would be safe. If he had panicked and taken flight he would have died.

I wonder how many times God has put us in a place of safety and told us to wait and we have panicked, become anxious, stopped trusting and flown away? I know I have this week have you?

“Even every hair on your head has been counted. Don't be afraid! You are worth more than many sparrows.” ~ Luke 12:7
I love you too!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Shawn Delia Boreta

Free e-Book Devotional

Free e-Book Devotional
It's All About Me