Translate

Saturday, December 3, 2011

Day 753 of Giving Thanks

Today was just another Saturday full of running errands. We had to go to the grocery store and little did I know what a madhouse it would be. The meat department was having a HUGE sale…buy one get one free, 50% off, slice and wrap for free…you name it, it was on sale. As I stood at the butcher counter talking to the young man behind the counter, I was reminded of how far our family has come over the past few months. This young man, who, ironically was named “Angel” was telling me how stressed he was. It wasn’t the customers that got to him…it was the amount of work…more work, with less pay and less time to do it. I remarked how lucky he was to have a job and he told me it wasn’t that he was complaining, but that he was just tired. “When will I ever get a break” he said with a look of defeat in his eyes and a smile on his face.

I remember those days as if it was yesterday. The days where things are finally starting to work out and then WHAM! The car breaks down or the heater goes out. It was like for every one step forward we took, we would get knocked back 10.

People would tell me things would get better, but those words sounded so empty. “Easy for you to say, you are not walking in my shoes, your life is perfect” I would reply. The feeling of defeat weighed so heavy on my heart. I was jobless, and my husband was the only one working. Our daughter was growing and needing new clothes and stuff for school. The dog needed medication……and the Jeep did break down.

Then, something happened. I remembered the words a dear friend told me 3 or 4 years ago:

“For I know the plans I have for you,” says the Lord. “They are plans for good and not for disaster, to give you a future and a hope.” ~Jeremiah 29:11 New Living Translation

 The Message Bible words it this way:

“This is God's Word on the subject: "As soon as Babylon's seventy years are up and not a day before, I'll show up and take care of you as I promised and bring you back home. I know what I'm doing. I have it all planned out—plans to take care of you, not abandon you, plans to give you the future you hope for.” Jeremiah 29:10-11 Message Bible

I then thought of people like Habakuk and Job. Old Testament figures that endured hard times and were angry and confused and asking God “Why?? Why is this happening to me?” In fact, if you open up the book of Habakkuk in the Bible, the 2nd verse reads like this:

“Lord, how long do I have to call out for help?
      Why don't you listen to me?
   How long must I keep telling you
      that things are terrible?
      Why don't you save us?” ~Habakkuk 1:2 New International Version

Wow. That really opened my eyes that day just a few short months ago. Of you skip ahead to the end of the books of Job and Habakkuk, you see that God keeps His promises. You see that both Habakkuk and Job are given that hope for the future. You see that because of their faith, they win.

I want to win. I am already a winner because the battle has been fought and my God has won the war for me. I will go through trials and hard times. There will be times where I wonder if I am alone or if I will ever get a break. But just because I feel it doesn’t mean I have to be it.

God is faithful, He is consistent and He keeps His promises. I have hope for a future now, because I have faith in the promise He made to me.

Lord, I lift up Angel into your hands. I ask that you help him see that he has hope and a future through you. I don’t know if he is a Christian or not, but Lord, he needs to fee your comfort and needs to know he has hope. Thank you Lord, for showing me I don’t have to live a defeated life anymore. Thank you for showing me that you are Alive and working in my life. Lord, the battle is raging and the enemy is near. Lord, your word says that you have given me the armor and protection (Ephesians 6) and I will put on my armor every day so that I can battle the things that come my way. Thank you Lord, for your strength and your grace and your Mercy. Lord, I praise your name. ~Amen

© 2011 Giving Thanks Daily, Darci Escandon
Web: http://shawnsgivingthanksdaily.blogspot.com/
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/note.php?note_id=10150418958162809

*****************
We are Wonderfully Made (https://www.facebook.com/pages/Wonderfully-Made/130178720330362), living to encourage and Equip His People (https://www.facebook.com/pages/Equip-His-People-Ephesians-411-13/170487976325407) and completely committed to believing greatly Psalm 139 with purpose (https://www.facebook.com/pages/Psalm-139-with-purpose/183264461708034).

No comments:

Post a Comment

Shawn Delia Boreta

Free e-Book Devotional

Free e-Book Devotional
It's All About Me