Translate

Sunday, December 18, 2011

Day 767 of Giving Thanks by Darci Escandon

It’s been a long time since I listened to hymns. I have to admit, that I am  more of a Christian Rock and Roll worship person. I love music. I love the way the praise and worship gets me going and allows me to connect with God. When times are tough, I can turn on my music and let the words and the melody flow through me and it makes me feel like God is standing right there with me.

Yet, sometimes, I need to slow down. I need to be still and feel His presence. Life has been crazy busy for me lately. Personal deadlines, School deadlines, all sorts of deadlines and the last thing I have been doing lately is resting.

The Bible tells us we need to rest. Even after God finished creating the world, He rested.

“So then, there remains a Sabbath rest for the people of God, for whoever has entered God's rest has also rested from his works as God did from his. Let us therefore strive to enter that rest, so that no one may fall by the same sort of disobedience.” ~Hebrews 4:9-11 English Standard Version
When I don’t rest, I get grumpy, distracted, my mind is foggy. So many things happen, but yet, I keep pushing myself. I need rest. My body needs rest. If I my mind is not clear, I cannot think properly and I leave myself open for all sorts of attacks.

As I woke up this morning, feeling exhausted even after a good night’s sleep, an old Hymn came to mind, Jesus I am Resting, Resting:

Jesus! I am resting, resting
In the joy of what Thou art;
I am finding out the greatness
  Of Thy loving heart.
Thou hast bid me gaze upon Thee,
And Thy beauty fills my soul,
For, by Thy transforming power,
  Thou hast made me whole.
Jesus! I am resting, resting
In the joy of what Thou art;
I am finding out the greatness
    Of Thy loving heart.
Oh, how great Thy loving kindness,
Vaster, broader than the sea:
Oh, how marvelous Thy goodness,
  Lavished all on me!
Yes, I rest in Thee, Beloved,
Know what wealth of grace is Thine,
Know Thy certainty of promise,
  And have made it mine.
Simply trusting Thee, Lord Jesus,
I behold Thee as Thou art,
And Thy love, so pure, so changeless,
  Satisfies my heart,
Satisfies its deepest longings,
Meets, supplies its every need,
Compasseth me round with blessings,
  Thine is love indeed.
Ever lift Thy face upon me,
As I work and wait for Thee;
Resting 'neath Thy smile, Lord Jesus,
  Earth's dark shadows flee.
Brightness of my Father's glory,
Sunshine of my Father's face,
Keep me ever trusting, resting,
Fill me with Thy grace.


As I read the words and sing along to this beautiful version of this hymn, found here: http://youtu.be/T3qIfnjGte8 I am comforted in knowing that I have a

Father in whose arms I can rest in. Oh, how tired I am. The burdens of life can get to heavy. Yet, my Lord tells me:

“"Are you tired? Worn out? Burned out on religion? Come to me. Get away with me and you'll recover your life. I'll show you how to take a real rest. Walk with me and work with me—watch how I do it. Learn the unforced rhythms of grace. I won't lay anything heavy or ill-fitting on you. Keep company with me and you'll learn to live freely and lightly."” Matthew 11:28-30 The Message Bible

Lord, Today I rest in you. Today I will rest just as this beautiful hymn says. Lord, you have made me whole and I am so thankful and grateful for that. In today’s crazy world, You are all that I need. You are the one that brings light to the darkness and sunshine and warmth where there is cold. Thank you Lord for showing me I need to rest and take care of myself. Thank you for showing me your way! Amen



Source: http://www.hymnal.net/hymn.php/h/579#ixzz1gu2cM3WZ

© 2011 Giving Thanks Daily, Darci Escandon
Web: http://shawnsgivingthanksdaily.blogspot.com/
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/note.php?note_id=10150418958162809

*****************
We are Wonderfully Made (https://www.facebook.com/pages/Wonderfully-Made/130178720330362), living to encourage and Equip His People (https://www.facebook.com/pages/Equip-His-People-Ephesians-411-13/170487976325407) and completely committed to believing greatly Psalm 139 with purpose (https://www.facebook.com/pages/Psalm-139-with-purpose/183264461708034).

No comments:

Post a Comment

Shawn Delia Boreta

Free e-Book Devotional

Free e-Book Devotional
It's All About Me