Translate

Saturday, March 31, 2012

Day 863 of Giving Thanks

By Darci Escandon

Rejection is a very powerful thing. Rejection can cause people to shut themselves off to the world. It can cause a heart to be broken and dreams to become crushed. As we get older, we grow to know that just because someone rejects us, it’s not the end of the world. However when you are a child, it’s not so easy to see that.

My daughter is an artist. I am so amazed at the things that come out of her brain and leap onto the paper. A scribble leads to an amazing landscape or story. At 12, she is wise beyond her years. However, as an artist, she is vulnerable and sensitive and puts a piece of her into ever drawing that she creates.

This past week, the youth group at our church held an event to raise money for the church and showcase the talents of the youth. They had an art exhibit in which my daughter selected 4 pieces of work to show. One, she had worked on for an entire month. She was full of hope and excitement and anticipation of winning something at the show.

But, this was not meant to be. She came home in tears and spent the night crying in her room. She felt rejected and her dreams were killed. It is easy to hug her and tell her how amazing she is, It’s easy to remind her of all the many compliments that people have given her over her work, but unless she feels those things, everything I tell her is hot air.

Which leads me to God. I don’t how many times I have heard Him tell me how special I am. When I am drowning in my emotional rejection from the world, I don’t allow myself to hear the things God tells me. In His word, it is written:

“Oh yes, you shaped me first inside, then out;
       you formed me in my mother's womb.
   I thank you, High God—you're breathtaking!
      Body and soul, I am marvelously made!
      I worship in adoration—what a creation!
   You know me inside and out,
      you know every bone in my body;
   You know exactly how I was made, bit by bit,
      how I was sculpted from nothing into something.
   Like an open book, you watched me grow from conception to birth;
      all the stages of my life were spread out before you,
   The days of my life all prepared
      before I'd even lived one day.”~Psalm 139:13-16 (The Message Bible)

When we know who we are in Christ, then our focus will be on God’s approval, not our own, or the people around us. God doesn’t reject us. He gave us this life to use it to glorify His name. We are saved and we are made new in Him. Our job is to motivate and encourage others, to build one another up and not tear each other down.

“God didn't set us up for an angry rejection but for salvation by our Master, Jesus Christ. He died for us, a death that triggered life. Whether we're awake with the living or asleep with the dead, we're alive with him! So speak encouraging words to one another. Build up hope so you'll all be together in this, no one left out, no one left behind. I know you're already doing this; just keep on doing it.” ~1 Thessalonians 5:9 (The Message Bible)

Remember, next time you are rejected by the world, that Jesus was already rejected. It was because of this rejection that He shed His blood on the cross so that we can have life in Him. He claimed victory over death and He will come again and judge us all. When you look in the mirror and wish your hair was different or you that your body looked different or whatever negative thing you see staring back at you, remember that God made you. God doesn’t make mistakes and He loves you just as you are. Don’t tell yourself you are not good enough because someone has rejected you. Love yourself, the way God has love you. Hold your head up high and say “I am a creation of God! I am fearfully and wonderfully made! I am made in His image and God knows what He is doing!!!

So, as for my daughter, we had a rejection celebration day. Rather than allowing her to wallow in self pity, we went out and had a mother/daughter date and although we acknowledge what she was feeling, we made the conscious choice to celebrate the day!

Lord, sometimes, the lessons in life can be hard. Sometimes, our feelings are hurt and we feel like giving up. Lord, thank you for your gifts and for blessing us with your love and your mercy and grace. Thank you for the blessing in my daughter and help me to show her just how incredible she is. Thank you Lord, Amen.



© 2012 Giving Thanks Daily, Darci Escandon
Web: http://shawnsgivingthanksdaily.blogspot.com/
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/note.php?note_id=10150327530757809

*****************
We are Wonderfully Made (https://www.facebook.com/pages/Wonderfully-Made/130178720330362), living to encourage and Equip His People (https://www.facebook.com/pages/Equip-His-People-Ephesians-411-13/170487976325407) and completely committed to believing greatly Psalm 139 with purpose (https://www.facebook.com/pages/Psalm-139-with-purpose/183264461708034).

No comments:

Post a Comment

Shawn Delia Boreta

Free e-Book Devotional

Free e-Book Devotional
It's All About Me