Translate

Sunday, June 13, 2010

Day 217 of Giving Thanks

Today was spent with some good friends, their kids and decoupage. We did a pretty good job, considering the youngest artist was almost four and the oldest about nine. And we had a two year old running around to make sure we were not bored. The idea was to teach the basics of layering pictures, glue and tissue paper onto a canvas for practice, then to the real thing.

We set up in our theater room right below the stairs; and I realized that fore thought would have been a great idea – I made several trips up and down the stairs, and when we were in the middle of our task, I thought “what a mess it is to create art”. Picture this, kids, furniture and four boxes of tissue paper, paper cut outs, two moms and an adopted aunt (me). It was quite a scene. The kids did great and their projects are almost done, just a few final touches.

As I was cleaning all the bits of paper and looking at the placed images on the two pieces of furniture with all the white glue hiding the collage, I reflected on Hebrews 11;1 -“Now faith is being sure of what we hope for and certain of what we do not see.” I have been doing decoupage for some time, and I always know that when the glue dries, there will be a beautiful and very colorful piece of art. My life is much like what I create.

There are many times when I feel like I am covered with so much, that what is ready to come out cannot be seen; sometimes not even felt. Thinking back to the mess it is to create art, I can liken my life to the layering of memories that include wins and losses; and in the process of living it, it is messy. I am grateful to know that with each phase of my life, there can be a beautiful image, just waiting for the glue to dry.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Shawn Delia Boreta

Free e-Book Devotional

Free e-Book Devotional
It's All About Me