Translate

Thursday, January 6, 2011

Day of 417 Giving Thanks

I typed “self help books” into the search bar today and there were About 213,000,000 results that showed up.

And, I thought, “How many self-help books have I read? How many motivational seminars have I attended? How many affirmations have I created and recited over the years?”

More than I can count! More than I dare to remember.


“We demolish arguments and every pretension that sets itself up against the knowledge of God, and we take captive every thought to make it obedient to Christ.”  ~2 Corinthians 10:5


My heart has ached for change and peace in the process of changing. Over the years, I have implemented so many changes, started new habits and practiced, drilled and rehearsed what to say, how to do things better, “what to say to myself”. The years passed, and things and habits “changed”, but nothing really “stuck”. I never really made the changes necessary to flourish in life. I didn’t feel any different about who I was, even though I had recited how awesome I was over and over.

My heart desired the reward.

For me personally, it is the knowing that I am worthy, and where that worth comes from that turned things around for me. It is in the knowing that I am loved greatly. It is in knowing that hope in limitless. It is in the knowing that any change through the Father is permanent. It is in the knowing that He desires great things for my life, so much so that He provided a book of promises, plus instructions on how to live my life.


A Life of God-Worship
"Don't hoard treasure down here where it gets eaten by moths and corroded by rust or—worse!—stolen by burglars. Stockpile treasure in heaven, where it's safe from moth and rust and burglars. It's obvious, isn't it? The place where your treasure is, is the place you will most want to be, and end up being.” ~Matthew 6:19-21


Just look at how many books are out there. Most refer to the wealth that can be created through a change – 90 Days to this or that; 3 Easy Steps... I am not knocking wealth, I am questioning motive, and only because I have personal experience in having a motive of wealth, the easy way… There is a theme with a majority of these books, and that is to replace one thing with something else (i.e., replace the habit, replace the food), one obsession or idol for another.

What I have found, is that removal, disposal, destruction of the old and starting new is a much better way. Emptying what is there, to allow God to fill the void... I know that I get impatient because things are not moving along fast enough... it's like fixing that dripping faucet, but in plugging the holes, you run out of fingers; it is quite a mess and not very productive.


“But now you must also rid yourselves of all such things as these: anger, rage, malice, slander, and filthy language from your lips. Do not lie to each other, since you have taken off your old self with its practices and have put on the new self, which is being renewed in knowledge in the image of its Creator. Here there is no Gentile or Jew, circumcised or uncircumcised, barbarian, Scythian, slave or free, but Christ is all, and is in all.” ~Colossians 3:8-11 

So, have I arrived? No.

Will I arrive? Absolutely - “For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also.” ~Matthew 6:21

Oh how I am grateful for my impending arrival.

1 comment:

  1. Brilliant word and a great and timely reminder. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete

Shawn Delia Boreta

Free e-Book Devotional

Free e-Book Devotional
It's All About Me