Translate

Sunday, February 6, 2011

Day 449 of Giving Thanks

I hear my mom whisper, “I love you sweetie”, and I am brought back in time. A time where the world was truly perfect in a child’s mind – a time when all was in perfect order in a child’s mind – a time that stands the test of time for this woman who, tonight, was back to that child’s mind. Even if only for a moment, the little girl was getting ready to be tucked in and have a lifetime of dreams every night.

My mom is an amazing lady and tougher than anyone I have ever known. She grew up in a times where “going hungry” was common place, “I walked a mile, in the snow, to school” was real and not an exaggeration, when turning down the thermostat was because wood was non-existent, and it was truly a treat to have bacon drippings on a slice of bread for lunch.

However, tonight was very different. In those deep brown eyes, I saw her from adult eyes for the first time. Where a lifetime of storms, loss and pain was recognized, eyes that lovingly, for my lifetime, console and comfort me. My adult eyes see her woman to woman, as another woman who has also lived through storms, loss and pain in her lifetime.

In “Mary’s” room in my mom’s house, I reflect much, and see the pink ribbon prominently placed in the bathroom as a reminder that she survived the enemy’s invasion. In her eighties, she was told that she had breast cancer. As I write this, I am overwhelmed with the amazing gift God has given me tonight. Just a few years ago, the storm was a battle for her life.

My mom is a survivor – born in 1924, raised in a time that my generation cannot even imagine. Living on her own, since my dad went to be with the Lord in 1985. And the in-between to now is her journey and her story.

I am grateful that I have time over the next twelve days to reconnect, get to know and minister to one another, as only a mother and daughter – and sisters in Christ can.

“From the fullness of God’s grace we have all received one blessing after another.” ~John 1:16

Heavenly and gracious Father, I thank You for this time. I thank You that Your timing for this visit. Thank You for Your perfect timing with everything.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Shawn Delia Boreta

Free e-Book Devotional

Free e-Book Devotional
It's All About Me