Translate

Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Day 458 of Giving Thanks

When Chris and I bought our house a couple years ago, I remember saying, “I will never move again”, mostly because I hate packing – although I am quite good at it. I am learning over the last few days, that it is going to be a difficult thing to pack up over eight and a half decades into a 26 ft. truck.

My mom is moving in about six weeks and this past week I have been helping her get things packed. We started with Mary’s room; Mary, by the way is the imaginary person. My mom wanted to make sure there was a personality to the spare bedroom; welcome to my family. Mary is a pack rat, by the way, and frankly, multiple personalities are present.

As I went through the room and organized everything on the bed to wrap and pack, I thought back upon childhood and how I grew up. Every room is full – every object has a memory or sentiment and a life that spans eighty-six years does have many memories. As I look at the items I am packing, I too can place a memory or moment with them. Over the years, I have learned to “weed” out as I go, and I have very few things from my childhood – but I am grateful for the things I have saved over the years.

As I was going through her things I would find something (recognizable from childhood), that was broken, and my mom says, “If it’s broken, I can fix it.” I can see that most of the things that I am packing are in repair of some kind, a little glue here or there, and all is good in my mom’s eyes – memory intact.

My life, this vase that has so much glue on it and has been mended many times; yet with God, even if I appear to be cracked and broken in so many areas, I am intact. I am the vessel that is to be filled with all that God has, moved from place to place throughout this life. My life, much like the contents of my mom’s home, is stuffed with many things – memories, broken dreams, things that should be thrown away or tossed and all the parts of my life and all is good in God’s eyes.  It is my faith, the recognition of His hope and knowing the love of a mighty God that it is good in my eyes.

“But he said to me, “My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness.” Therefore I will boast all the more gladly about my weaknesses, so that Christ’s power may rest on me.” ~2 Corinthians 12:9

It is through His grace that I mend – His favor that pushes me forward – His mercies that keep me going. My eternity is secured.

“So do not fear, for I am with you; do not be dismayed, for I am your God. I will strengthen you and help you; I will uphold you with my righteous right hand." ~Isaiah 41:10

1 comment:

Shawn Delia Boreta

Free e-Book Devotional

Free e-Book Devotional
It's All About Me