"Having therefore these promises, dearly beloved,
let us cleanse ourselves from all filthiness of flesh and spirit,
perfecting holiness in the fear of God." ~2 Corinthians 7:1
If I said I had decided to go on a health kick but:
· Went to the supermarket and bought loads of packs of chips, bags of lollies, ice creams and biscuits;
· Went to the library/ bookshop and stocked up on titles like “Gourmet cheesecakes” and “Scrumptious dessert fare”;
· Donated my bike to the local charity;
· Moved next door to McDonalds and across the road from the local pizza shop and sampled their cooking nightly;
· Cancelled my gym membership; and
· Bought clothes two sizes larger than my current size,
· Would you say I wasn’t really serious about making changes to my life and getting fitter?
Sounds funny but how is this different from the person who says, “I want to become a Christian and I want to follow Jesus,” but who:
· Reads the latest steamy best sellers and gossip magazines;
· Consults horoscopes, clairvoyants, tarot cards for life direction;
· Watches movies that are occult based- witches, warlocks, demons, zombies, ghosts, voodooism;
· Listens to music that could best be described as anti-christian (What does chanting- ‘I’m on a highway to hell’ speak over yourself? Not life!)
· Sits in the hotel each evening drinking until they have to be ‘rolled’ home;
· Drooled over the latest xxx magazines, movies and internet porn,
Would you say I wasn’t really being serious about being a Christian? Wasn’t really serious about cleaning up my life and shining for Jesus?
“ Finally, brethren, whatsoever things are true, whatsoever things are honest, whatsoever things are just, whatsoever things are pure, whatsoever things are lovely, whatsoever things are of good report; if there be any virtue, and if there be any praise, think on these things. “ (Philippians 4:8-9)
In a world surrounded by things that are lovely, pure, true, just…I find it hard to understand the things that many Christians choose to focus on. It is our number one goal as God followers to please our Father’s heart through the way we conduct our lives.
Who or what are you placing as number one in your life?