Translate

Monday, October 10, 2011

Day 703 of Giving Thanks

Keeping my eyes on God and setting my heart on heaven… that seems to be easier and easier for me. At first it was an effort that seemed futile and difficult. Partly because I wasn’t quite sure what that meant. But it is truly just remembering who God is – amazing, awesome and truth!

I use to be ashamed and heartbroken over my memories and experiences in brokenness. We have all experienced being broken, but broken is not what defines us. For me, broken is where God started with. I use to think that was the worse memory to have today those are the most rewarding memories. They are where I can see God’s miracles in my circumstances. Where I can articulate how God worked. Many years ago, someone asked me what the pain in my muscles felt like, and I answered, “broken glass under the skin.”


“The LORD is close to the brokenhearted and saves those who are crushed in spirit.” ~Psalm 34:18 (New International Version)

Now today, I know daily that all that brokenness, the shattered dreams, the shards that lay so close to my heart and the reflection that I avoided for so long have all come together in this masterpiece called repair and restoration. I do not know what God has for me next or if more pieces of debris will be added to His work known as my life, but I do know that whatever it entails, it will be good and whole.

Wholeness comes from one person, Jesus. Wholeness comes from leaving all that is not fruitful, admirable or helpful to me behind… and leaning into and grabbing onto what is real. “Wherefore: ‘Come out from among them and be separate, says the Lord. Do not touch what is unclean, and I will receive you’. ‘I will be a father to you, and you shall be my sons and daughters, says the Lord Almighty’.” ~2 Corinthians 6:17-18 (J.B. Phillips New Testament)

If you are a child of God, you will be in heaven. You have to make the choice to be God's by believing that Jesus came to live the perfect life, because we cannot. He suffered and died on the cross for our sins. We repent and turn away from our sins and towards Him... We believe that He rose from the dead, and He will come again.

This is written not to shed light on what I have gone through, but to shine light on what He does with our circumstances when we are open to His hand about our life. Sometimes in our illness or our brokenness, we shut down, close off and I have been there. Sometimes in our illness or brokenness, we discover what joy truly is, and what “God in our life” is all about. I have done both.

It is because of the daily pain that I know God so deeply. With God, we have the promise of eternity with Him, this life is temporary and when we can give all of us, including our pain and our health, we discover who we truly are. I wouldn't trade any of my journey for anything. I am where I am supposed to be... and knowing that healing has nothing to do with my physical body makes all the difference - having an eternal perspective, cannot be beat.

I am forgiven... “You are saved by God’s grace because of your faith. This salvation is God’s gift. It’s not something you possessed. It’s not something you did that you can be proud of.  Instead, we are God’s accomplishment, created in Christ Jesus to do good things. God planned for these good things to be the way that we live our lives.” ~Ephesians 2:8-11 (Common English Bible)

He endured much and greatly for me. How can I ever know that depth of gratitude? How could I ever share it adequately? And, that forgiveness brings complete healing. There is nothing greater than that.

“For in hope we were saved, but hope that is seen is not hope, for who hopes for what he sees?  But if we hope for what we do not see, we await it eagerly with patient endurance.
“And likewise also, the Spirit helps us in our weakness, for we do not know how to pray as one ought, but the Spirit himself intercedes for us with unexpressed groanings.” ~Romans 8:24-26 (Lexham English Bible)

His amazing work will manifest in ways that are almost unbelievable to our earthly minds, but believable because of our hearts toward heaven. Keep me heavenward in my thoughts and my actions.


© 2011 Giving Thanks Daily, Shawn Boreta
Web: http://shawnsgivingthanksdaily.blogspot.com/
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/note.php?note_id=10150327530757809

No comments:

Post a Comment

Shawn Delia Boreta

Free e-Book Devotional

Free e-Book Devotional
It's All About Me