Translate

Sunday, October 30, 2011

Day 721 of Giving Thanks by Darci Escandon

Have you heard the parable about the guy who gets caught in a flood and asks God for help? The parable goes something like this:

It was flooding in California.
As the flood waters were rising, a man was on the stoop of his house and another man in a row boat came by. The man in the row boat told the man on the stoop to get in and he'd save him. The man on the stoop said, no, he had faith in God and would wait for God to save him. The flood waters kept rising and the man had to go to the second floor of his house. A man in a motor boat came by and told the man in the house to get in because he had come to rescue him. The man in the house said no thank you. He had perfect faith in God and would wait for God to save him. The flood waters kept rising. Pretty soon they were up to the man's roof and he got out on the roof. A helicopter then came by, lowered a rope and the pilot shouted down in the man in the house to climb up the rope because the helicopeter had come to rescue him. The man in the house wouldn't get in. He told the pilot that he had faith in God and would wait for God to rescue him. The flood waters kept rising and the man in the house drowned. When he got to heaven, he asked God where he went wrong. He told God that he had perfect faith in God, but God had let him drown.
"What more do you want from me?" asked God. "I sent you two boats and a helicopter." 
Often times, I think that sometimes, I don’t recognized God’s help when it’s staring me right in the face. For some reason, I have an idea in my head about what God’s help is supposed to look like. It’s supposed to be something supernatural or incredible…like finding the winning lottery ticket in the street gutter as I am walking the dog or getting that surprising knock on the door from Publishers Clearing House even though I never sent in that entry form I received in the mail.

But yet, I keep telling myself and everyone around me that I am stepping out in faith and that God will take care of me. I know he will provide all the things I need. It says so in His word:

“Therefore do not worry, saying, ‘What shall we eat?’ or ‘What shall we drink?’ or ‘What shall we wear?’ For after all these things the Gentiles seek. For your heavenly Father knows that you need all these things. But seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things shall be added to you. Therefore do not worry about tomorrow...." Matthew 6:31-34 New King James Version (NKJV)

"And my God shall supply all your need according to His riches in glory by Christ Jesus. Now to our God and Father be glory forever and ever." Philippians 4:19-20 New King James Version (NKJV)

“If then God so clothes the grass, which today is in the field and tomorrow is thrown into the oven, how much more will He clothe you, O you of little faith? And do not seek what you should eat or what you should drink, nor have an anxious mind. For all these things the nations of the world seek after, and your Father knows that you need these things.  But seek the kingdom of God, and all these things shall be added to you.  Do not fear, little flock, for it is your Father’s good pleasure to give you the kingdom. Sell what you have and give alms; provide yourselves money bags which do not grow old, a treasure in the heavens that does not fail, where no thief approaches nor moth destroys. For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also."~ Luke 12:28-34 New King James Version (NKJV)

I also encourage you to look up these other verses as well:
Romans 14:17-19
2 Chronicles 1:8-12
Philippians 4:11-13
Matthew 19:29-30
Mark 10:28-31
Malachi 3:10
Deuteronomy 8:2-3
Psalm 23:1-3
2 Corinthians 9:8

Yes, God provides for our needs. That is His promise to us. However, that does not mean that we can just sit around and wait like the guy in the flood did. God requires us to step out in faith. He wants us to trust Him ultimately and completely. Sometimes, that means that we need to step outside of our comfort zone. For me, it certainly meant that. God has been calling me for the last 2 years to step out in faith and do something. Because of my fear and self doubt, I had been making excuses and acting like the guy in the flood. However, recently, thanks to the words of a dear friend who told me “Darci, you need to quit giving stuff away and start running your business like a business and the true gift from God that it is”, I stepped out I faith and started working for God. Rather than thinking about what I can benefit from it, I began to see how I can help other people. It no longer became about me and my benefit, but it became about others and how they can benefit. It became a God thing, not a Darci thing.

As things start to happen now, I can point out and say “That’s all God”. When people ask me how this happened I can say “It’s a God thing”.  God is getting the glory, not me. I’m not in this for myself…I’m in it for God. All I had to do is get out of His way and step out in faith.

"And God is able to make all grace abound toward you, that you, always having all sufficiency in all things, may have an abundance for every good work." 2 Corinthians 9:8 New King James Version (NKJV)

God is faithful and He knows our needs. When we can get over ourselves and realize that the reason we are here is to bring glory to Him and allow Him to work in our lives, amazing things can happen. I don’t judge my success by the money I have in the bank or the things I can buy, I judge my success by the treasures I build up in Heaven. To me, that’s better than any winning lottery ticket or Publisher’s Clearing House prize. What I have been given is eternal life, through Jesus Christ our Lord, whose blood was shed on the cross for us all. All I need to do is step out in faith.

What is it that God has called you to do that requires you to step out in faith?

Thank you Lord, for showing me how I got in your way. Thank you for showing me  how to step aside and let you work. Thank you for being faithful and for always showing up even when I am not sure of where you are. Thank you for taking care of our needs and for making such a big difference in my life! I love you Lord. Please forgive me for getting in your way! Amen.


~Darci Escandon
© 2011 Giving Thanks Daily, Darci Escandon 
Web: http://shawnsgivingthanksdaily.blogspot.com/ 
https://www.facebook.com/note.php?note_id=10150361536487809

No comments:

Post a Comment

Shawn Delia Boreta

Free e-Book Devotional

Free e-Book Devotional
It's All About Me