Translate

Saturday, November 26, 2011

Day 746 of Giving Thanks by Darci Escandon

Homesick for God... I am grateful to be homesick, as that is how my yearnings become actions... Let me explain...

“We need to find God, and He cannot be found in noise and restlessness. God is the friend of silence. See how nature -- trees, flowers, grass -- grows in silence; see the stars, the moon and the sun, how they move in silence. We need silence to be able to touch souls.” - Mother Theresa

Sometimes, I feel distant from God. I feel homesick for my Lord, my amazing and wonderful Father in Heaven. I have the good intentions of starting off the day in His Word, so that I can have my Armor of God on before I start my day (see Ephesians chapter 6) but it seems as if those intentions get thrown by the wayside. The more distracted I get, the less focused I am and the less time I am spending in His word, seeking Him out, learning and growing in Him.

Distraction comes so easily in my life.

“Be Still…and Know that I AM GOD!” ~Psalm 46:10

How can I be still when I get distracted so easily? How can I be still when my mind keeps racing and thoughts keep flowing???

In the New Testament, Jesus came to visit Mary and Martha, however Martha is distracted:

“But Martha was distracted by all the preparations that had to be made.” ~Luke 10:40a
The Greek word used for this word, distracted is “perispaƍ” which means “to draw away”.

When I think of my distractions lately, even the ones that came up when I was trying to write this, that is exactly what they did…they “drew me away” from God. They drew me away from my Bible and away from what God is trying to tell me.

I can only truly hear from Him when I am still. I want to be in His presence and I want to feel His touch..but when my brain is distracted by the TV or Cell Phone or Facebook or Telephone or my Dogs or whatever else may pop up, I draw further and further away from Him.

My focus needs to be on God and God alone. I need to focus on His word. I need to set aside and be disciplined in my quiet time with God every single day, regardless of what is going on around me.

“Be Still…and Know that I AM GOD!” ~Psalm 46:10

Be Still, Be Still and Be Still some more! Seek out His Word. Do not be drawn away from God. That is how we learn, that is how we grow!

“Making your ear attentive to wisdom and inclining your heart to understanding; yes, if you call out for insight and raise your voice for understanding, if you seek it like silver and search for it as for hidden treasures, then you will understand the fear of the Lord and find the knowledge of God. “ ~Proverbs 2:2-5 English Standard Version

In my times of distraction, I need to call out to God and ask for help so I can focus on what He wants me to learn. I need to truly meditate on His Word, day and night, twenty four hours a day, seven days a week, fifty-two weeks a year!

“Blessed is the man who does not walk in the counsel of the wicked or stand in the way of sinners or sit in the seat of mockers. But his delights is in the law of the LORD and on His law he meditates day and night” ~Psalm 1:1-2

That is why I have been homesick for God. I have been drawn away from Him, from His word. I have not spent my quiet time with Him and have succumbed to the distractions of this world!!! However, my God is always near, He is always with me and I can overcome my homesickness just by opening up the pages of my Bible and I am close to my Father in Heaven once more!!!

Lord, thank you for not going anywhere while I was drawn away from you. Thank you for showing me how easy and simple it is to get back into your Word. Thank you for helping me with my distractions today and I pray that I can avoid them throughout the rest of my day. Lord, you are always near and You never leave me. Thank you for helping me to see this. Lord, I praise your name! ~Amen

(New International Version used)
© 2011 Giving Thanks Daily, Darci Escandon
Web: http://shawnsgivingthanksdaily.blogspot.com/
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/notes/giving-thanks-daily/november-26th-day-476-of-giving-thanks/10150405196152809

*****************
We are Wonderfully Made (https://www.facebook.com/pages/Wonderfully-Made/130178720330362), living to encourage and Equip His People (https://www.facebook.com/pages/Equip-His-People-Ephesians-411-13/170487976325407) and completely committed to believing greatly Psalm 139 with purpose (https://www.facebook.com/pages/Psalm-139-with-purpose/183264461708034).

No comments:

Post a Comment

Shawn Delia Boreta

Free e-Book Devotional

Free e-Book Devotional
It's All About Me