Translate

Thursday, December 23, 2010

Day 404 of Giving Thanks - Guest Writer, Sue King

“H U M I L I T Y – Serving the LORD with all humility of mind” ~Acts 20:19 (KJV)

Blessed (happy, [a]to be envied, and [b]spiritually prosperous [c]with life-joy and satisfaction in God's favor and salvation, regardless of their outward conditions) are the poor in spirit (the humble, who rate themselves insignificant), for theirs is the kingdom of heaven! ~ Matthew 5:3 (Amplified)

My grandfather, who has been dead many years, had a favourite song that came to mind today. It goes…..
“Oh Lord it’s hard to be humble, when you’re perfect in every way!....... “

I can still remember him breaking into song and singing these words, then having a laugh. Good times.

The definition the world gives to the word humility is:

Hu`mil´i`ty: The state or quality of being humble; freedom from pride and arrogance; lowliness of mind; a modest estimate of one’s own worth (Webster’s dictionary).

In biblical terms it has a much deeper meaning – God says when you are humble, you are free from pride and arrogance. You know that in your flesh you are inadequate, yet you also know who you are in Christ. It is about having a low view of self and a high view of God.

Having humility is knowing that I can do nothing in my own strength. I can make choices in every facet of life…but they are just that….choices. I cannot control where I was born, the colour of my skin, the wealth (or poverty) of the family I was raised in. I can’t control the climate, gravity, the concentration of oxygen in the air I breathe. I make choices based on what is available to me and mostly that is all out of my control.


I am blown away by the certain knowledge that the air I breath, the action of taking in my every breath and the ability of my body to use that breath to sustain me is at the will of my creator.


Matthew 5:36 says that “you cannot make even one hair white or black”. Yet with my God’s strength- “you can say to this mountain, ‘Move from here to there,’ and it will move.” And continuing in Matthew 17:20 “Nothing will be impossible for you.”


He who stood at the beginning of time and knew me even then, He who knew my every breath before I had even taken one of them- He is the one who sustains and keeps me. To Him is due all glory and honour.


 Your eyes saw my unformed substance, and in Your book all the days [of my life] were written before ever they took shape, when as yet there was none of them.”  ~Psalm 139

How can I be puffed up with pride when I truly know that everything I am and have and become and do is at the  generous provision of my creator. How can I boast at my accomplishments when I do not even control my next breath?

“O LORD, you have searched me [thoroughly] and have known me. You know my downsitting and my uprising; You understand my thought afar off. You sift and search out my path and my lying down, and You are acquainted with all my ways. For there is not a word in my tongue [still unuttered], but, behold, O Lord, You know it altogether. You have beset me and shut me in--behind and before, and You have laid Your hand upon me. Your [infinite] knowledge is too wonderful for me; it is high above me, I cannot reach it. Where could I go from Your Spirit? Or where could I flee from Your presence?” ~Psalm 139:1-7

Thank you Lord for your provision.

About Sue
Hi! I am 51, married with three children 14, 17, 19. I work in childcare with 0-5 year olds, love gardening (where God talks to me the most) and LOVE reading! I’m very active in my local church serving in most areas including children’s ministry, worship team (back-up vocalist) and am involved with an intercessory prayer team.


God swept me off my feet 8 years ago. He came and filled a space within me that had been yearning and searching for the something that was missing. Only when He came did I know I had been searching for Him. Since then I have grown and loved and lived and dreamed beyond my wildest imaginations. Into every new day I walk with passion and excitement with Him at my side. I pray that you will find Him as I did.


Visit Sue's Facebook page.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Shawn Delia Boreta

Free e-Book Devotional

Free e-Book Devotional
It's All About Me