Translate

Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Day 253 of Giving thanks

Once upon a time, there was a girl, a gymnast, who had a dream to be an Olympian – it was a desire that started at four. Fast forward 40+ years from when that dream began, and this Olympian has received her gold.  This is truly an amazing story of perseverance, dedication, faith, stamina, belief, love, tenderness, kindness, passion and sacrifice. 

As I remember that part of my childhood of grueling, yet wonderful times at the gym and workouts that stretch my imagination today, because it almost feels like it was a life of someone else. Hours upon hours, injury after injury, loss to win, win to loss, bruises, sore muscles, strains and sprains, but so worth it. I loved to perform, I hated to lose – I really was a poor sport at times.  And, those behaviors, because I was talented, good – successful, I was allowed to sulk, to pout, and yet the wins were also riddled with a sour flavor. My life, as long as I can remember has had comments like “well, you could have done…..”, “you didn’t do that…”, “oh, and you forgot that…”, and how about “if you had (fill in the blank), it would have been much better.” Am I exaggerating? To tell you the truth, I am unsure. But I know that I focused on what was “what was wrong”, more than” what was right”.

My gold did not happen as a child, at least not the one I wanted. Like a lot people who don’t see their dreams and desire through, it is a pain of regret that still stings. I know that my gold is God’s gold. And God has been gracious enough to give me another shot. A desire that I have been fighting to grab for over 8 years, and in the process all those childhood comments were brought back up – sometimes daily. Even the people who love you the most, will tell you to “stop, you’ve wasted enough time”, “it’s not worth it”, it can’t be God’s will, when it’s been this long”, “how long have you been working on this?” was a comment I rejected yesterday.

Today, I will dream bigger than ever and as my desires soar to reach them, I know that as long as I am within God’s guidelines I cannot fail.

He fulfills the desires of those who fear him; 
       he hears their cry and saves them.” ~Psalm 145:19
“Delight yourself in the LORD 
       and he will give you the desires of your heart.” ~Psalm 37:4

Thank you heavenly Father for your perseverance, dedication, faith, stamina, belief, love, tenderness, kindness, passion and sacrifice so that I can live for you and realize the desires of my heart.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Shawn Delia Boreta

Free e-Book Devotional

Free e-Book Devotional
It's All About Me