Translate

Saturday, May 7, 2011

Day 538 of Giving Thanks

So I said the other day, “Not much change physically but mountains are being moved mentally.” And today I was wishing that just a hill would move. My husband and I spent 6 hours moving nearly 30 wheel barrels full of dirt, which is really the second 30 wheel barrels full. Let’s just say it wasn’t moving on its own and it was definitely hard labor. I am thankful that the workday is over, dinner and dishes are done and now we are able to settle in to rest for the evening. The agenda is simple - working on some art and a movie…

So why are we moving a hill? Great question. Our house sits on a down slope and one of the previous owners built a small house (@700 square feet, no running water, but it does have electricity) into the hillside. The building was built without common sense has leaking issues and is one of our projects, they also left exposed and sliding dirt; and during all the rains this winter, the hill started to slide, leaving mounds of drenched dirt in the wrong places and an obvious need for a retaining wall. Today we continued the laborious process of shaving away at the hillside so that we can have enough room to build the wall.

Just a month ago, the water-filled hillside was falling down, leaving piles of dirt on the small walkway and in the trench. That was the first task this afternoon, removing the remnants of the storms and a few hours later we were on to the next task. With a pick in hand, and brute strength, Chris began chipping away at the now, rock-hard dirt – then I would shovel the dirt into the wheel barrel and moving it out of the way. He worked, I rested, I worked, he rested… perfectly getting through the work at hand.

We repeated this for hours. And, as I sat there waiting for “my turn”, I thought about how God allows us to move our piles, clean up our messes and learn so much in this process. At times, I have waited so long to answer His call, follow His urgings or just “do what He says”, that I create quite a mess – just like those who built our little house into this hillside, and because they did not follow protocol or use common sense, it is quite a mess.

And, all through the learning process, He is with me – urging me, and all I have to do is listen. So physically today, Chris and I moved “a small hill”, but it felt like a mountain of dirt, and mentally I was given a visual of what God allows in my life through my journey in lessons.
“Have faith in God,” Jesus answered. 23 “Truly[a] I tell you, if anyone says to this mountain, ‘Go, throw yourself into the sea,’ and does not doubt in their heart but believes that what they say will happen, it will be done for them.  Therefore I tell you, whatever you ask for in prayer, believe that you have received it, and it will be yours. And when you stand praying, if you hold anything against anyone, forgive them, so that your Father in heaven may forgive you your sins.” ~Mark 11:22-25 

With every shovel full, as my muscles were screaming at me toward the end, I thought of how I always have help to move my piles, and I get to watch while God helps me with my messes. And, that was a comforting and wonderful thought.
“So then faith comes by hearing, and hearing by the word of God.” ~Romans 10:17

One of the greatest mountains moved in my life is the mountain that was between Chris and I – we talked about that today. That mountain, through faith that God is faithful, not only moved, it was leveled – and love prevailed and a long time prayer has been answered.
“If I have the gift of prophecy and can fathom all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have a faith that can move mountains, but do not have love, I am nothing. If I give all I possess to the poor and give over my body to hardship that I may boast, but do not have love, I gain nothing.” ~1 Corinthians 13:2-3

No comments:

Post a Comment

Shawn Delia Boreta

Free e-Book Devotional

Free e-Book Devotional
It's All About Me