Translate

Thursday, May 19, 2011

Day 550 of Giving Thanks

“I feel so lonely sometimes, God. Thank you that even when I have no one else, I always have your Spirit’s presence. Amen.” From the book, Light My Path

At different periods in my life I received a lot of attention, affection and recognition, and felt very lonely and isolated. There have been many times in my life where loneliness, even when being around a bunch of people was prominent in my life. In my younger years, I spent much of my time “running after” approval, acceptance and a sense of belonging and being “liked”. I think of the song, “I can’t get no satisfaction… ‘Cause I try and I try and I try and I try…”, by the Rolling Stones. But don’t ask me to relay all the words, but I do realize that the point of that song is that even though we “try and try and try”, there is still – “no satisfaction”.  It is a song of rejection, as well as self dependence which gets the songwriter nowhere, and always seeking and going after “more”.

“But if God so clothes the grass in the field, which is alive today, and tomorrow is thrown into the furnace, how much more will He clothe you, O you [people] of little faith?And you, do not seek [by meditating and reasoning to inquire into] what you are to eat and what you are to drink; nor be of anxious (troubled) mind [unsettled, excited, worried, and in suspense]; For all the pagan world is [greedily] seeking these things, and your Father knows that you need them.  Only aim at and strive for and seek His kingdom, and all these things shall be supplied to you also.” ~Luke 12:28-31 (Amplified Bible)

And, I see this all around me today. We, as a society, run after this and that. And as we move onto the next thing we continue to be unsatisfied. I see this even among believers, I have seen it in myself, and I am thankful that I do see it. I am thankful that through prayer and petition to the Lord, He is identifying these areas to me.

This and that, needing attention, recognition and being “needy” all stem from a void – a void of purpose, belonging and knowing where you come from. My life changed dramatically when I knew, truly knew that I am not alone, who I am because of God and where I will be going.

“Then you will call, and the LORD will answer; you will cry for help, and he will say: Here am I…” ~Isaiah 58:9

As a citizen of Heaven, how can I not be satisfied? Today, I wake up every day and ask for strength in the moments that “the needy me” surfaces again and I remember that I am happiest, most content and find the most joy in my days when I am serving others.

“Love is the greatest thing that God can give us; for He himself is love; and it is the greatest thing we can give to God” ~Jeremy Taylor

It is our service toward others that will show our love for God, how else could we do it? We are to love like He did, through the cross and does through His abundant grace, and the unlimited mercies and favor in my life. I have never known love like I now know love. It is a love that warms the cold, brings light to the darkest of moments and overflows me with purpose in every day. I know that as I live my life out, even when I "try" and fail, every experience I have will bring me to who I am designed to be. My life here is all in preparation for my life with my God in heaven. My sites, my desires and my life are all purposes for that day when I arrive and live the way I was always meant to live. SATISFACTION.

“Since you have been raised to new life with Christ, set your sights on the realities of heaven, where Christ sits in the place of honor at God’s right hand.” ~Colossians 3:1

“If the world hates you, keep in mind that it hated me first. If you belonged to the world, it would love you as its own. As it is, you do not belong to the world, but I have chosen you out of the world. That is why the world hates you. Remember what I told you: ‘A servant is not greater than his master.’ If they persecuted me, they will persecute you also. If they obeyed my teaching, they will obey yours also. They will treat you this way because of my name, for they do not know the one who sent me.” ~John 15:18-21 (NIV)

As a citizen of Heaven, I know that whatever I need will be given, and whatever I desire, that is in the plan will be provided to me – that is not only satisfying, it is comforting. Thank You Father, that you know best, and I have the greatest opportunity to “do” all things in honor of loving You.

“Now you have every spiritual gift you need as you eagerly wait for the return of our Lord Jesus Christ.” ~1 Corinthians 1:7 (NLT)

I am satisfied... and eagerly await the rest of what He has for me here...

1 comment:

  1. Shawn...so true! This goes hand in hand with my post today. More gold nuggets to draw us closer to our Father. I am getting it...I just want to be what He is calling me to be...I want Him to be glorified. Everything else will fall into place in His timing! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete

Shawn Delia Boreta

Free e-Book Devotional

Free e-Book Devotional
It's All About Me