Translate

Friday, October 15, 2010

Day 338 of Giving Thanks

I was the kid who sought approval from every side – friends, family, teachers, priests and coaches. A “people pleaser” is really what I was raised to be; and in essence it sounds good, but reality is, people just cannot be pleased by other people. What words did I use to do this; honestly, probably not too honest to myself?


The power of words, especially the ones we speak to our mind hold so much power - The power to change our circumstances, our health, our finances, our relationships, begins with how we think.

“For we know, brothers loved by God, that he has chosen you, because our gospel came to you not simply with words, but also with power, with the Holy Spirit and with deep conviction.” 1 Thessalonians 1:4-5


As a kid we said, “Sticks and stones may break my bones, but names will never hurt me”. This is a huge lie of the enemy. Many times it is the words that make or break us. So I must be aware of how we speak to others, as well as how I speak to myself.
  

“Likewise the tongue is a small part of the body, but it makes great boasts. Consider what a great forest is set on fire by a small spark. The tongue also is a fire, a world of evil among the parts of the body. It corrupts the whole person, sets the whole course of his life on fire, and is itself set on fire by hell.” James 3:5-6

Father, I am thankful that Your lessons come from living life, and going through challenges, and I am grateful that all my questions can be answered by coming to You, reading Your word and through counsel from others who are on the same path and filled with the Holy Spirit.

With the tongue we praise our Lord and Father, and with it we curse men, who have been made in God's likeness. Out of the same mouth come praise and cursing. My brothers, this should not be. Can both fresh water and salt water flow from the same spring? My brothers, can a fig tree bear olives, or a grapevine bear figs? Neither can a salt spring produce fresh water.” James 3:9-12
  
“The weapons we fight with are not the weapons of the world. On the contrary, they have divine power to demolish strongholds. We demolish arguments and every pretension that sets itself up against the knowledge of God, and we take captive every thought to make it obedient to Christ. And we will be ready to punish every act of disobedience, once your obedience is complete.” 2 Corinthians 10:4-6

No comments:

Post a Comment

Shawn Delia Boreta

Free e-Book Devotional

Free e-Book Devotional
It's All About Me