Translate

Friday, October 29, 2010

Day 352 of Giving Thanks

I am grateful for all the smells around me. As I walked into the kitchen this morning, I gathered a mild citrus smell of lemons as I put the dishes away. And, as I showered, the smell of lavender filled the steam-filled room. Stepping out of the front door, there was a wonderful scent of morning, dew on the ground and just the smell of a crisp morning. As I headed down the hill, I could smell the exhaust of the bus in front of me – and although not a great smell (actually, quite overwhelming), it did help me to realize that all is well when I can notice things around me.

“But thanks be to God, who always leads us in triumphal procession in Christ and through us spreads everywhere the fragrance of the knowledge of Him. For we are to God the aroma of Christ among those who are being saved and those who are perishing. To the one we are the smell of death; to the other, the fragrance of life. And who is equal to such a task?” ~2 Corinthians 2:12-16 (NIV)

As the day progressed, I became very aware that one’s presence can make a difference in many ways. I am constantly aware that my actions can attract or detract. How I see those around me will determine how I speak, react, listen and see others. My personal fragrance counts, and truly makes a difference. Lord, I pray that I am the fragrance of life and even in my death to this life, my fragrance will linger.

As I started to write tonight, there was an interruption to a prayer request from earlier – and the most beautiful statement was shared when someone asks, “Why God would take someone home”, especially since the enemy works so hard to find the unfairness of it all. And a childhood story was shared, “When you picked apples at your grandmother’s, what kind of apples did you pick?” His reply was “ripe ones.” God said, “I pick the ripe ones, too." When I read that line, I instantly had a visual... a bowl of fruit and the fragrance it has at its ripest... what a sweet aroma that lingers and decorates the senses.

As the “apple of his eye” I am being prepared for His use, and when He deems ready, ripe then I will be ready.

For thus said the LORD of hosts (after his glory sent me) regarding the nations that plundered you: Truly, one who touches you touches the apple of my eye.” ~Zechariah 2:8 (NRSV)
"Your ozone-drenched garments are fragrant with mountain breeze. Chamber music—from the throne room—makes you want to dance. Kings' daughters are maids in your court, the Bride glittering with golden jewelry.” ~Psalm 45:8 (The Message)


© 2011 Giving Thanks Daily, Shawn Borerta
Web: http://shawnsgivingthanksdaily.blogspot.com/
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Giving-Thanks-Daily/290738571406

No comments:

Post a Comment

Shawn Delia Boreta

Free e-Book Devotional

Free e-Book Devotional
It's All About Me