Translate

Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Day 275 of Giving Thanks

I heard an acoustic guitar yesterday afternoon – someone just strumming, nothing in particular, but a wonderful melody nonetheless. And, I thought of the first time I met my “Dad” Mickey. A friendly warm, loving smile and tender hands that played his instrument and a voice that told a story – our first in-person meeting was when I was eighteen. I traveled down to Southern California to meet my family. A family I always knew about, but hadn’t known. Parents that loved me so much, that they gave up everything to make sure I had a good life. Mission Accomplished!

Honestly I don’t remember much about that day, it was a bit overwhelming, however I do know that it was a day I had waited for all of my life. My mom’s smile that day was bright and she was satisfied in knowing that I had turned out “just fine”.

As a child there were traits that I processed, that I always wanted to understand where they came from, and it was at that time, that weekend, that so many things became clear. Genetic traits in the arts, music, dance, creativity were all present in that house. And, I finally understood how I came to have such wonderful gifts. Today, it is the way God helped me to identify with a group of people that until that day were strangers – God’s way to tie me to, and connect me in a way that I could understand. I am grateful for God’s nuances, His subtleties, and His boldness.

“Many, O LORD my God, are the wonders you have done. 
The things you planned for ME I cannot recount to you; 
were I to speak and tell of them,  they would be too many to declare.” ~Psalm 40:5

I am grateful that I have had three amazing Fathers in my life. Mickey, who gave me life and loved me so much; Bill, who took over and guided me until he died; and my Heavenly Father, who was there, knitted me in my mother’s womb, gave me life and loves me so much, takes over and guides me when I am in need.

"For you created my inmost being; you knit me together in my mother's womb." ~Psalm 139:13

No comments:

Post a Comment

Shawn Delia Boreta

Free e-Book Devotional

Free e-Book Devotional
It's All About Me